Success is complicated. Satisfying. Subjective. Everyone wants it and everyone needs it, but very few can truly define it. Everyone feels complete with it and lost without it. For some, success is money and power, whilst for others success is joy and balance.
Most people try to define their success through:
• Money and what it can buy: flashy cars, designer clothes and big homes – the bigger and better.
• Being able to spend time with family and be with family is seen as fulfillment and success.
• Working towards and completing big goals. The achievement of project based goals is regarded as success.
• If you’re in a joyful environment and have good friends and colleagues, you can feel successful.
• Being fortunate enough to work hard and play even harder is seen by some as the epitome of success.
• Doing good things for others and helping those less fortunate is, to some the meaning of success.
Is defining success black and white? Is it a mosaic of money, power, joy and balance? Or is it something else? Well, to some success can be summed up as just that, but to others it isn’t so straightforward.
Why not let Success, define Success:
Who better to ask than those that personify the very word? When probed about how to define success, Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh, makes it clear he is a firm believer that success is about living in accordance with your values.“Your personal values define who you are, and a company’s core values ultimately define the company’s character and brand.”
The late poet laureate, Maya Angelou, left behind mountains of books and very well defined views. Her definition for success? “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” Without love for your work, can you really be proud of what you achieve?
The man worth $US5 Billion and a Catalogue of companies, Sir Richard Branson knows his stuff. His key, is to be fully immersed in your work. “The more you're actively and practically engaged, the more successful you will feel.”
Whilst an award winning combination or a step-by-step list to success would be invaluable, defining success is not that simple, but being open minded and attentive is.
Success it seems, is a pieced together masterpiece of working hard, loving what you do, and above all else staying true to your ethics and values. If you can integrate all that into your life and business, it's not that far-fetched to look back and be proud of what you've achieved, acknowledge the effort you’ve exerted and not doubt the means to this end.
Success is creating your own legacy!